Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Day Three: Part Two

I am really having a hell of a day. Tracking meals is proving to be really, really, really difficult and annoying, which is why I always quit doing it. I've never really been satisfied with the Lose it app and I decided to try Livestrong's MyPlate, but it will NOT save any of the custom recipes I am adding. I continue to have to rely on the nutritional data from the Kickstart plan, but it really seems off. Plus, every meal tracking app always has these wackadoo measurements, like grams and milliliters and kilometers and I'm like 



and like 


So I did the best I could today, but I'm pretty pissed off, so that wasn't very good. Here are today's totals:

Fat: 21 g
Carbs: 201 g
Protein: 40 g
Calories: 1,122 (292 under budget and yes, I know this is low)

Even though I have enough rage to melt ice with my eyes and pound out an hour on the elliptical (yeah, or not), I actually couldn't go to the gym today because I can't exercise after I get my allergy shot. Well, for two hours. Which means I could go now. But I'm not. I still have work to do for tomorrow. Grading research papers > gym? It's like choosing how you want to be tortured.

Here's my breakdown of the day -

Breakfast: Green Apple Oatmeal

Yes, leftovers from Sunday's breakfast. These are way better fresh. Oatmeal gets weird in the fridge and everything I save in plastic containers ends up tasting like dishwasher detergent. 

I also had my standard coffee (after a struggle with the Keurig, which only happens at the worst times) and almond milk.

Lunch: Hummus and Sun-Dried Tomato Wrap with leftover curried tomato lentil soup

I put this together last night and I was actually excited for lunch!

I made my first successful hummus by Ninja-ing a can of rinsed garbanzo beans, a clove of garlic, a tablespoon of tahini, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, some salt, and water (I just eyeballed it until the consistency looked right). 
Look at me resisting the cupcakes in the background
Then I spread about 1/4 cup of hummus onto a Trader Joe's Middle Eastern flatbread and topped it with about 2 tablespoons of Trader Joe's sun dried tomatoes (they come in a bag, not a jar) and and sprinkled some pea shoots on top (the recipe called for sprouts, but I couldn't find them anywhere). This was really, really good and I'll probably have it again later in the week, or maybe even as a higher-calorie snack. I felt absolutely stuffed after eating this with the stew/soup, but I have to admit that I was pretty hungry soon after. 

I varied the recipe a little (with the pea shoots and the flatbread instead of a whole wheat tortilla), but the original nutritional facts are:


Calories: 242
Fat: 6.9 g
Sat Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 10.9 g
Carbs: 38.7 g
Sugar: 5 g
Fiber: 8.2 g
Sodium: 569 mg

Snacks: 

This is what I wanted:

I told you we love to eat
 And this is what I had:

A cup of pomegranate berry green tea and 6 grape tomatoes. 18 calories. Blah. This won't fly tomorrow. 

Dinner: Guacamole Quinoa and some crappy salad

I was craving tacos, so I did the best I could. Plus my avocado is ripening faster than my stomach starts growling, so time is running out. 

This recipe called for 3 cups of cooked quinoa - please be advised that 1 cup of dry quinoa = 3 cups of cooked quinoa before you go mixing things together and having to throw them away like I did. 

While that was cooking (also quite successfully, for the first time ever. I'm terrible at cooking grains), I mashed up the avocado with 3 tablespoons of lime juice, a garlic clove, and some salt. Then I added a diced tomato (recipe called for Roma; TJ's had beefsteak, so I used beefsteak). I also use the term "diced" loosely. The things I cut up are whatever shape they turn out to be; it's no wonder I haven't needed stitches yet because I SUCK when it comes to knives (I thought I would improve if I had brand new ones; nope). I also threw in about 1/4 cup of "diced" red onion (which always means there will be one huge strip of onion somewhere in the mix), 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, and about 1/4 cup of "chopped" fresh cilantro. 

I omitted the called-for 1/2 jalapeno pepper. If you know me, you know I've had a lot of difficulty with using jalapeno peppers and having eyes lately. For about a week, I was pretty sure that my contact lenses were actually tiny slices of jalapeno. I also left out 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne for obvious reasons

Then I mixed it all together and portioned it out (4 portions). Note the giant hunk of tomato and the aforementioned huge strip of onion.



Thoughts: 
1) Why can't I melt cheese on top of this?
2) This might taste really awesome in a taco shell, like a taco substitute (I'm used to eating tacos once a week, which is probably why I got so fat).
3) No, legitimately, I'd cut back on the lime juice and maybe the cumin. I'd also maybe add a little salt (I never say that) and garlic (I always say that).

I was still hungry so I threw together some crap salad with a cup of arugula, about 1/4 of English peas, 5 grape tomatoes, and some pea shoots. I "drizzled" this with 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. I say "drizzled" because it was swimming in vinegar. I legit choked this down because I inhaled vinegar fumes with every bite, which induced a cough attack. 

I packed my leftover quinoa in divided lunchbox packs with arugula on the side. I actualy think it would be good served cold, all mixed together. I'll let you know tomorrow! 

I don't have nutrition facts for this meal because I had to enter each ingredient separately, which was a huge enough PITA (it's an acronym; I don't mean the bread).

And finally, I have to make a plug here. I am in love with a guy named Joe and he is a trader. All of this cooking has forced me to run my dishwasher basically every day and this stuff cleans nasty couscous-crusted cutlery better than anything I've ever used: 





Hey Trader Joe's, want to sponsor me or endorse me or something? Side note: I'm still open to Three Buck Chuck once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment