Monday, February 3, 2014

A New Beginning

It's 10:20 AM on a Monday and my body has never been so thankful for kale, almond milk, and fruit. Oh my GOD, this smoothie is amazing. It tastes pretty good, but it just feels like...soothing? It just feels right. It's like drinking happy. 

Mmmm, 7 supplements

Breakfast: Coffee with almond milk, Rawjuvenate smoothie with 1 banana, 1 cup kale, 1 cup frozen pineapple, 1 cup almond milk

It's 12:41 PM and I'm eating a salad that's made up of arugula and spinach that's pretty wilty and it still feels oh-so-amazing. Greens, carrots, red cabbage, grape tomatoes, balsamic vinaigrette...do I hear angels singing? I can't shovel this into my face fast enough. 

Now I've moved on to a satay peanut "salad." I really need to slow down, but this tastes like candy. Fresh vegetablesWowwwww. This was supposed to be my dinner, but I got too excited to make it. 






Lunch: Green salad, Ronzoni Garden Delight fettuccine with sugar snap peas, baby bok choy, radishes, and yellow squash in a peanut sauce - Recipe here (substitute yellow squash for Japanese eggplant and raw agave for honey to make it vegan; omit sriracha if you're like me and also throw everything together in the pot at the end and heat for a little while longer to help melt the peanut butter and cook the noodles more). Note: This makes 4 very small servings (3 oz. of pasta divided by 4?! I was housing 4x that back in '87).


Oh, did I mention I'm home on another snow day? Normally, a snow day on the Monday after the Super Bowl would be a godsend, but I've really just had it with snow. And this appears to be a big storm that is going to dump close to a foot all over and around my car. It's going to snow until dark, at which point I am not going to want to shovel even more than I already don't want to shovel. 



I've already prepared two meals, filed and organized the 2-foot stack of documents I've been neglecting, cleaned out my closet and dresser, and watched a movie. NOW WHAT? Okay, (most) photos on my computer are appropriately filed now...my kitchen is a wreck and I need to mop my floor and scoop the litter box and organize my receipts/finances, but I am avoiding all of those things. I could take a nap, but I'm honestly not that tired. I am actually kind of nauseous. I really feel like I have a food hangover from all of the garbage I ate yesterday. 

It's 5:18 PM and I'm starving and angry and sweaty and my hands feel as dry as sandpaper. I am eating comfort food, watching The League, and trying to breathe. 

Let me back up to 2 hours ago. My poor friend Flynn, who lives a few miles away, is on crutches recuperating from surgery and needed something from CVS (which is basically across the street from my house). My street looked messy but passable and I knew I would not want to dig out my plowed-in car at 6 AM tomorrow. I also knew that if I went out, I could pick up the tomato soup I had been coveting all day. I agreed to attempt the trip. Luckily, I never returned Andrew's shovel and I was able to dig/drive myself out of my parking spot in about 15 minutes (they really got me in there good this time). The CVS parking lot was a mess, but I managed to get in and out of it and I took the highway to Flynn's, so the roadway was clear.   

His parking lot was not.

Fortunately, there was a clear spot so I snagged it, knowing that I would only be a few minutes.

I was only a few minutes.

I could not get the hell out of that parking spot. 

I tried shoveling. Driving. Reversing. Pushing. Cursing. Screaming. 

Finally, after about a half hour, I was able to get the hell out of that godforsaken parking lot. All I could think about was "I deserve a beer" (I have, like, one chocolate cherry bock. I don't even want it).


Instead, I settled for dinner and my snow day craving: a cup of Campbell's tomato soup and grilled cheese with 3 slices of Tofutti cheese on a Trader Joe's sandwich thin.

So. So. So. GOOD.

Now that I've entered snow shoveling into My Fitness Pal, I have some caloric leeway for the rest of the night. I'm going to shower, wind down, and try not to eat anything else. It's been a surprisingly exhausting (but productive) day off.


No comments:

Post a Comment