Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Why I Do What I Do

This is going to sound totally counterintuitive, but when I was still hungry after dinner today, I spent 45 minutes in the kitchen prepping future meals/snacks and I'm no longer hungry. I think it's pretty clear that much of my eating - particularly my nighttime snacking - has been a result of boredom. 

I still have quite a few calories in my allowance today, but I accidentally broke vegan today...by unintentionally eating half of my angora sweater (the other half ended up in my left eye). I know, I know, what kind of a vegan wears angora? 

My reasons for starting a vegan diet are self-centered and have nothing to do with my thoughts about animals (sorry if that makes me sound like an ass, but it's true). The way I felt after a night of bingeing on dairy and some meat reinforced my rationale. 

I am, by nature, a whiner and a complainer - at least I worry that's how I come off to others; I prefer to think of myself more as an observant person with an endearing penchant for kvetching. 

I also suffer from bitchy resting face. For those of you who are not familiar with the condition, here is an informational video:



Since I stopped eating animal products, I must say that my attitude has improved greatly and I often find myself with a smile on my face for no good reason (although does one need a "good" reason to smile?). Like I mentioned before, I rarely get road rage anymore - in general, my moods feel a lot more stable and a lot more positive. People have even told me that it seems like I'm in better spirits. Why would I want to give this up?

More importantly, my anxiety level has been almost nonexistent. I've suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since childhood and maybe it's coincidental and/or maybe it's all in my head, but I haven't felt my typical nerves for most of 2014 (besides my MRI and the morning after drowning myself in buffalo chicken dip). I'd always known that changing some of my lifestyle habits would make me feel better, but I was never willing to try. Now that I know that simply altering what I eat can make a world of difference in my moods, I wish I had done it years ago. 

Any weight loss that comes with this diet is an added bonus. I'll take a loss of mood swings any day. 

P.S. Tonight's dinner - a chik'n patty with guacamole hummus and fresh salsa on a multigrain sandwich thin = divine. People have also asked me how I deal with my cravings, but this is what I crave now (well, I also craved a baked potato today).

No comments:

Post a Comment