Monday, February 3, 2014

The Aftermath

Felt kind of similar

Okay, you know what, I've been skirting around the issue, so let's just discuss it: The Super Bowl. 

Steve's coworker had a party and said he could bring whomever. I figured I would try to stick to "safe" foods but I'd be open to...sampling. I bought tortilla chips and Trader Joe's guacamole hummus to contribute and of course, picked up a GH for myself. I knew I shouldn't eat too much before the party, so I had a GH/sun dried tomato sandwich before I left my place.


Heaven. For realz.

I decided to wear Giants gear for the party since the Super Bowl was being played in "our house." I was feeling pretty good because I bought this t-shirt in August and I never really felt comfortable in it this entire football season - it's an XS, and I typically wear a S anyway. Luckily, the Giants played so poorly that I rarely even bothered to sport my collection of too-tight fan apparel. But now my muffin top and love handles have almost completely disappeared.


Ignore my messy room


Well, then I went to Steve's and before we even left for the party, I had downed a beer, a cookie, and half of a peanut butter and jelly pancake. En route, I declared, "If there are no wings at this party, I am going home. I will legit call a cab and go home." Eat all of the things?



After visiting the keg and swearing that we would never tell anyone we drank light beer (sorry, Steve and Briele), we headed inside to worship at the altar that is the Super Bowl Buffet. I loaded up my plate for Round 1, feeling a little uneasy.


What you see here is (clockwise): guacamole hummus, blue cheese? (Ranch?), a buffalo wing, Tostitos scoops, broccoli, buffalo chicken dip, Ritz crackers, a small sampling of chicken Murphy that was mostly potatoes. The verdict: Keep the buffalo chicken dip coming. The buffalo wing itself was as disappointing as my DiGiorno pizza slice: just anti-climactic and not worth it. 

As the night wore on and the game became a blow-out, the commercials a sentimental snoozefest, and the halftime show the biggest bore since watching figure skating on mute while waiting for my MRI, I continued to make trips to the buffet table and the cooler (we found the good beer!).  Eventually, I told myself, "Just go HAM. Who says you have to stick to chicken only? There are Italian subs here! Italian subs!

I helped myself to a small piece of Italian sub. It was: disappointing, anti-climactic, not worth it.

I continued to gorge. There was an ice luge. There were cookies.



"Let's leave by the end of the third quarter" turned into "let's eat more" and a discussion about why the day after the Super Bowl should be a holiday instead of Black Friday or President's Day (or, at the very least, can we somehow combine the Super Bowl with one of those things?). Well, because the day after the Super Bowl is not a holiday, we figured we needed to eat even more to ensure that we felt functional for work the next day (i.e. not hungover - not that we drank that much, but who needs an excuse to pig out even more?). 

This necessitated a trip to Wawa and for me, a binge on all of the foods I could have during my 24-hour "pass" period: an apple fritter, Doritos (both Cool Ranch and Nacho Cheese) and, obviously, macaroni and cheese (sometimes scooped up and eaten on Doritos). 

I woke up at 5:45 AM with a clear head, a text that I had a snow day, and a terrible feeling in my gut. I couldn't wait to get home and whip up a smoothie. I had a ton of fun during the Super Bore, but the meat and dairy didn't really contribute to that. Now I know that I just don't need them - hell, I don't even really want them!


No comments:

Post a Comment