Monday, April 7, 2014

How much damage can one weekend do?

Counting wine calories
After sitting in a room at the doctor's office for an hour, only to be seen for 10 minutes and told that I need to go see other doctors, how am I expected to go to the gym? It's cold, pouring rain, I'm exhausted, starving, and in a mood, and all I want to do is pour myself a glass of wine (done), stuff my face with hummus (doing), and watch Inside Llewyn Davis while wearing my YogaToes (about to). Oh darn, Chromecast won't work (what else is new?) so I need to go sit in bed and watch this movie?! Can I just resolve to look like Moby Dick and open another bottle of wine and stuff my face with chocolate?

Well, now that I'm on the verge of a migraine for the second time today and my Roku has mysteriously stopped working, I guess I might as well make a real dinner, as opposed to what I've already shoveled into my mouth. Oh great, and now I find out it's National Beer Day or something and I have to pop open an IPA? #lifeissohard

I still had half a brick of tofu (is that the measurement that tofu comes in? bricks?) in the fridge, so I decided to make a tofu scramble. I went grocery shopping yesterday (without a list...living dangerously) and bought a bunch of fresh produce, but there was also some way-old (but still good - thanks TJ's) broccoli in the crisper. This is the tofu-veggie concoction I came up with this time:

Mix together a teaspoon of cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme, 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 tablespoons water. Set aside.

Saute 3 minced cloves of garlic in a pan sprayed with Smart Balance. After garlic is browned, throw in HALF A BRICK of drained extra-firm tofu and 1 cup broccoli florets (like, tiny florets). Cook, stirring constantly to break up the tofu, for 10 minutes (throw in 4 quartered Campari tomatoes when it's close to the 10-minute mark). 


Pour in the spice-water mixture, 1/8 cup nutritional yeast, and black pepper. Stir and cook for 5 more minutes. 

This recipe was modified from http://www.theppk.com/2009/10/tof-u-and-tof-me-scrambled-tofu-revisited/ and it was yum.


Oh yeah, I threw some kalamata olives on there for good measure. And I also added 1/2 teaspoon of Trader Joe's whole grain Dijon mustard to the mix when I added the nutritional yeast. 

Now I'm eating more olives. Now I quit counting calories for the night.

I've been ruminating on how much I've been failing at my goals...then I decided that maybe I should make weekly, rather than grandiose long-term, goals. I'm going to make this week's based on some successes I've already had today:

1. Wake up with first (5:30) alarm every work day (I'm already regretting this)
2. Oil pull before work
3. Drink 8 glasses of water a day
4. Stay vegan until Saturday
5. No drinking until Saturday (not counting tonight!)

Well, if I want to get up at 5:30 AM, I'd better get to bed now.


No comments:

Post a Comment